Tuesday, July 17, 2012

KAN SHARBET

KAN SHARBAT

KAN SHARBAT






The Kan Sharbat is not the street snack, however, it is a sharbet usually prepared during the times Holy Month Of Ramadhan.Again I never heard of this sharbet at all. I was searching to find out whether there were some special sharbets being prepared in Kashmir as such. I had heard about Apple Sharbet, Apricot Sharbets, Almonds Sharbet, Walnut Sharbet, etc. However, I never heard this one before from anyone.

I would like to thank Nusrat Jan for this. She was the one who shared the information. Thus, my hunt to learn this special sharbet began.It is very hygienic and good for health. I would love to share with all those who are reading this blog at this time.Thanks a lot Nusrat. The Great Allah should bless you in all your endeavours in future.

I would also like to thank Abdul Rashid Bhat, Khalid Rashid Bhat and Nazia Rashid Bhat for their enduring help to me in this venture of mine. I really respect them and the kind support provided from their end. I would never forget their help towards this project. I do believe that Almighty Allah  always blesses us through certain individuals.And this particular family is a blessing for me. Thank you all of you. I really appreciate for guiding and correcting me in preparing the sharbet.

 RECIPE FOR THE KAN SHARBET

BABRI BEOUL
INGREDIENTS

Babri Beoul-10 grams
Milk-1 kg
Sugar-6 to 7 tablespoons
Dry Coconut
Water
Cardamoms-3 to 4 pieces

METHOD

  • Clean the seeds of babri beoul
  • Place babri beoul in a small utensil
  • Add 1/2 a glass of luke warm water to the utensil containing babri beoul seeds and immediately cover it with a plate.
  • Let the seeds soak in water for 5 to 6 hours
  • Boil the milk and let it cool.
  • Add sugar and mix well.
  • Dessicate the dry coconut.
  • Crush the cardamoms' seeds
  • Mix the powdered cardamom seeds, dessicated dry coconut to the milk
  • Add the soaked babri beoul seeds along with the water into the milk.
  • Keep it in the refrigerator for few hours
This is again a very simple sharbet prepared during the Holy Month Of Ramadhan and distributed to all the guests and well wishers. I really adore the simplicity of this sherbet. Thank you Abdul Rashidji for guiding me in the preparation of this sharbet. There are again variations of this which would be posted in the blog later on.


In kashmiri language,"KAN" means small gemstones.Thus,the meaning of the sherbet means one which appears to be small gemstones surrounded by coconut pieces in milk and water.The scientific name of bari beoul is Ocimum sanctum Linn. Following is the list of its name in different languages-


Arabic Name : Raihaan, Baadharooj, Habaq
Bengali Name : Tulasi
Chinese Name : Lo le, Yu xiang cai, Yu-heung, Hun que
English Name : Holy Basil, Sacred Basil, St. Joseph’s Wort, Sweet Basil
French Name : Basilic Saint
German Name : Indisches Basilikum, Tulsi-Basilikum
Gujarati Name : Tulasi, Tulsi
Hindi Name : Tulsi
Kannada Name : Kamakasturi, Ramakasturi, Tulasi
Kashmiri Name : Babri Beol (Seeds)
Latin name : Ocimum sanctum Linn.
Marathi Name : Tulasi
Persian Name : Baadhrooj, Baadhrooz, Nazbo
Punjabi Name : Tulasi
Sanskrit Name : Tulasi, Ajaka, Arjaka, Parnasa, Krishnamul
Urdu Name : Raihan, Tulsi, Franjmushk

Though it is prepared with the Holy Basil seeds,nevertheless,I have never heard of any sherbet prepared from it among the Hindu religion.In various temples of India,I have only observed the leaves of the Holy Tulasi being added to water before the Pooja and distributed to all the devotees present in the temple.The seeds are used only in the Ayurvedic medicines and specific decoction.

2 comments:

  1. Your information about babri buoll is wrong It is not holy basil. Basil does not grow in Kashmir baber grows easily. Please find the exact species of baber

    ReplyDelete
  2. In kashmir it is Kandee sharbat. Kand means sweet Not kan sharbat .If i am wrong please correct me .

    ReplyDelete