Tuesday, January 15, 2013

KATIRA SHARBAT OF KASHMIR

Katira Sharbat Being prepared

                     KATIRA SHARBAT OF KASHMIR

Summers and one glass of sharbat-WOW! what a relief for me!I do not consume coffee or tea.Therefore,sharbats are best beverages for me and I really throng for them as much as possible. being a food researcher,I wanted to know about the kashmiri sharbats as they followed the MUGHAL CULTURE.Surprisingly, there was no mention about them over the internet.The HOLY MONTH OF RAMZAAN was approaching in few days and I wanted to prepare and surprise my friends by serving them.However,I was not successful.Though there were more than 300 sharbats being served on the Royal Table Of Saudi's King.There were few hotels which mentioned about them and I was able to know them through my interactions with them.

One fine day,I received a call from my Kashmiri friend residing in Srinagar,Kashmir Valley.Her name was Nusrat Jan.I enquired from her.Through her,I came to know about the following sharbats-
Katira Crystals
a) Roof Afjha
b) Kan Sharbat
c) Katira Sharbat
d) Lemon Sharbat

These were the exclusive sharbats of Kashmir.Maybe there are some more of them,I would discover slowly.I thank Nusrat for sharing the recipe with me.Thank you Nusrat Jan.I did prepare it.It was awesome.I did experiment with the original sharbat and came across variety of them.Maybe I would put them under the category of POST MODERN ERA OF SHARBATS OF KASHMIR.

INGREDIENTS REQUIRED


  • Edible Gum or katira crystals-250 grams
  • Almonds-7
  • Cashew Nuts-7
  • Raisins-5
  • Walnuts-7
  • Dry Apricots-5
  • Pine-nuts-5
  • Dry coconut owder-4 teaspoons
  • Sugar-3 teaspoons
  • Water-500 grams
STEPS FOR PREPARATION

Dry Fruits Being Added

  • Take the katira crystals and clean them.
  • Soak them in water for few hours.
  • In case the water is not sufficient,one might add some more of it.
  • Mix them together in a blender.
  • Crush all the dry fruits in a coarse form.
  • Add the crushed dry fruits to the katira mixed with water.
  • Add sugar and stir it with the help of the spoon so that it mixes well with the sharbat.
  • Pour it in a large jar.
  • Place it in a refrigerator.
  • Serve chill in glasses.
  • Before serving to the guests, sprinkle the coconut powder over the sharbat. 
This is very popular beverage consumed in summer months.The Kashmiri women prepare it everyday and distribute to their own family members or guests or the needy and poor people.The charity firms offer it to many orphanages and needy shelters or homes.It is said that distribution of food and drinks to the thirsty individuals is the best charity one can do in their lives.One cannot compare anything else to such offers.

The above mentioned sherbet is very hygienic and healthy one.There are no preservatives added to it.There are no artificial colors present in it.The different dry fruits are very good for health.Once the edible gum is added and blended with water,it is very easy for the rest of the preparation.In summer months,one might rely only on this beverage and it is sufficient to quench our thirst and fills our stomachs too.

It is a typical beverage prepared in Kashmiri Islamic households.I have never heard about this preparation among the Kashmiri Hindu families.The dry fruits have got their own benefits and advantages for the health.Such beverages are very rare and extra-ordinary one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment